SailNet Community - View Single Post - Legal Residence
Thread: Legal Residence
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011

roadranger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
You may wish to review the Florida regulations. The state is not requiring you to register your "already documented" vessel, or a vessel undocumented, but registered in another state when passing through Florida. Three months is allowed and then, in addition, there is very little monitoring. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
If your vessel is registered in another state then you have 90 days in FLorida (probably a lot more unless you are unlucky or scrupulously honest) before you have to get it registered in this state, however, if your vessel is only documented, then the new law requires that you get it registered with the state in order to use FLorida waters. There is no 90-day grace period for that. Please check with my friends at FWC before you smash me down. I work with them often, and they are very helpful... on the phone, anyway.

In my first-hand, personal experience, the FWC, and the local Charlotte county and Lee County sheriffs have always notified the vessel owners of the new law and given them a written warning. I have only heard (from FWC officers) that they have issued fines to some boaters. It may be that those boaters 'talked their way into a ticket.' I have seen that happen a few times to belligerent captains (but for other issues).
TANSTAAFL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook