SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Attalia
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011

ClioOwner is on a distinguished road
Hello Fodao and other Attalia fans.
I am delighted to find this thread even if it is getting a bit old!

I have an 84 Attalia which I bought in 08 and is based in the Greek Aegean. She is a former flotilla boat and was much modified by the company before I bought her.They did an extensive refit in 2004 which included new Volvo 2020A 18hp, new plumbing and electrics, new windows, headlining, deck gear including Harken 2 speed ST winches and Lewmar hatches. The Volvo pushes her well at up to 6 knots.

They cut away about 60% of the chart table and extended the heads forward so that there is now a separate shower and loo space on the heads (appreciated by Admirals!) and the sink is set across the aft locker bulkhead. The chart table is now really a shelf with a few lockers below but it doesn't bother me as there is adequate space to store charts below and I use the table for navigation. Also with plotters these days there is less need for a dedicated chart table.

I too had problems with water under the the cabin sole and eventually found where it was coming from. I keep a few plastic sponges in each underfloor area and this helps to keep small amounts of water from sloshing about. My boat has hot water via a calorifier heated by the engine. There is an electric shower pumpout under the sink in the heads and the boat has a black water holding tank. This is a gravity type which is emptied offshore. There is no provision to pump it out ashore. The boat also has an electric and a manual bilge pump. She also has an electric anchor windlass which can be controlled from the cockpit.

Since buying her I have added a autopilot, liferaft, EPIRB, plotter, AIS and a DSC radio (these three are interfaced).

I am retired so I spend 4 months each year aboard (Apr,May, Sep and Oct). I avoid the hot, busy times! I bought her in Corfu and have since cruised the Ionian, Gulf of Corinth, around the Peloponnese and last year the Cyclades. This year I am headed across to Turkey.

I am delighted with her performance. As you may know the Attalia is a 'cruiserised' version of the 1981 Half Ton winner 'Ar Bigouden' which was designed by Joubert Nivelt. By 'cruiserising' I mean higher topsides for volume, masthead rig instead of fractional, iron keel instead of lead and full interior fitout etc. I find that even with dacron cruising sails and furling genoa she is quicker than many modern equivalents such as Beneteau 323, Sun Odessey 32 etc. especially to windward where she points well and has a very light feel to the helm. I have just bought an assymetrical cruising chute which I am looking forward to trying this year.

Cheers

J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook