SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best way to fuse Battery
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011

Tree is on a distinguished road
Best way to fuse Battery

This question is mostly for Maine Sail but there are several others that frequent this forum who also have very very valued knowledge and experience.

After reading the thread Maine Sail wrote on installing the Victron Battery monitor I have started to think that I need to learn more about the best way to "fuse" the hot side of my DC system. I liked the look of the what Maine Sail had (blue seas fuse) in the pictures in that thread but I'm not sure just exactly how that works. Looking at the Blue Seas web site, I found what I thought were the same parts but I couldn't figure out exactly how it works. (a metal bar with a threaded post thing that a square donut like thing that sits over and is a fuse ? Huh?).

So I'm coming out and openly saying.... I'm an idiot.

Would some one please tell me the best way (or even just a very good way) my electrical system hot side should be fused? I have a very simple electrical system. No fridg., no radar, no microwave, not even a lot of interior lights. Basically I run an auto pilot, depth sounder, Chartplotter, Marine Radio, nav lights, anchor light, a few inside lights, a couple of fans, a car stereo, bilge pump (direct wired) and the CO and propane detectors.

My battery bank now is a couple of 5+ year old group 24 batteries but I'd like to upgrade in the near future to a couple of Golf cart batteries (to get about 220 amp hr).

I've gotten by the past years with an inline 15 amp fuse on the cable that runs from my battery switch to the electrical panel. Each circuit in the electical panel also has a fuse. But, the fuse is just downstream from the battery switch. I don't even remember why I ended up putting it there. I know it would be better if the fuse was between the battery and the battery switch. Are the blue seas fuses shown in the Battery monitor thread beter?

If possible: Give me part names, part numbers, links to vendors, even recommended amperage fuses for a "small" system like mine.

Anyone who cares to help.... thank you very much.

Last edited by Tree; 01-28-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook