SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Range WiFi -- Posting right now using "long range" wireless
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011

richardhula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
(Just re-read this.)

I didn't know this before Mike posted about it. One minor correction I'd make....

Having a high gain antenna will help the receive signal strength, so you'll be able to recieive signals from farther away from the marina or other access point. From what Mike says, after connecting a high gain antenna you would lower the transmit power. And doing so won't matter to you because you are limited by your receive signal strength. And you'll be a good netizen too.

This means that with a high gain antenna you could buy a cheaper bullet that doesn't have 1000mw (1 watt) of transmit power. If I recall correctly, the 250mw ones are much cheaper. Even the 800mw ones are cheaper.

As for me, since I like to experiment, and I don't mind making the setting changes, I'll keep the higher power one that I have and lower it's power output. Some experimantation is in order to find the sweet spot of lowest power without affecting performance.

WiFi is designed to serve multiple poeple at once. We don't want sailboats to get a bad reputation by "stepping on" the signals from others. Please transmit responsibly.

Regards,
Brad
Brad I thought we had laid this one to rest. In the 2.4GHz Bullet range there are 2, 2HP and M2HP models. The Bullet 2 spec is 20dBm = 100mW tx power with 802.11b connection. The 2HP 29dBm = 800mW. The M2HP almost the same @ 28dBm but with greater tolerance. In any case prices are much the same - in fact some suppliers sell the newer, higher turnover M2HP cheaper than legacy models.

There are no 250mW or 1000mW models - some suppliers just round up to make the figures look good.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.