SailNet Community - View Single Post - A few thoughts on electronics & keeping watch
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yes, but LED nav lights don't twinkle... stars do. And if you're looking at a star and it doesn't twinkle...guess what—it ain't a star. IMHO, you'd have to be fairly dumb and unobservant to mistake an LED nav light for a star.

Also, LED nav lights will generally move far more quickly relative to the boat than stars will unless you're headed straight for it.
Actually SD, I have seen a red nav light on the horizon, which turned into a star and the opposite, an apparent star get bigger ( and turn into a steel island!)

Another time, hazy lights on their bridge and then in silhouette, a warship ( an american one as well!)

I have seen ships change course for no reason and have various levels of lights on show.

Lights which were really ships or other yachts and vice versa. Some nav lights do twinkle in the distance. Distances are very difficult to judge at night and often in my experience are far closer than first thought. Yachties plot opposing courses so may come close to each other. This has happened to us once in the middle of nowhere.

So we always keep a pair of eyes on deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook