SailNet Community - View Single Post - Near misses and other not so funny stories
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011

HVVega is on a distinguished road
Near misses and other not so funny stories

This thread is a spin-off from another thread about people relying on electronics to keep watch for them rather than doing it in a seaman like manner. Well maybe that is a bit over simplified, but you get the idea. It came out in that thread that it would be a good idea to have a thread about near misses and other "exciting" things that happen on the high seas. I will start it with this "cute" little pair of stories that happened just after the great Sumatra tsunami. We had about 28 tons of food and medical supplies on board and were on our way to the west coast of Sumatra.

05:20 The sky was just getting light when there was an urgent call from the watch on deck. I felt the boat start to turn hard. We rushed up just in time to see an entire house roof complete with chickens, a dog, and a duck go bye on our port side. The radar had seen nothing. Thanked the lad on watch for a job well done. Went back to sleep.

17:10 Was on watch when I saw something large and dark low in the water directly ahead of us. Checked the radar but saw nothing there at all. Turned 30 degrees port "just in case" Glad I did. It was a mostly submerged shipping container. We cleared it by about 35 meters.

The idea behind this post is to make it clear why there should always be someone on deck keeping a proper watch. Now what stories do you have to trade with us maties?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook