SailNet Community - View Single Post - Near misses and other not so funny stories
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember that the icon on the screen of the Chartplotter is not the boat... it is the theoretical position of the boat as seen against the interpretation of the real world by a cartographer who may or may not be using accurate data. Some charts are using data that was last updated in the early 1900s and are as accurate for the given technologies of that time could make it... and may not have any real bearing on the real world.

Sailing is not NINTENDO, the boat is not the icon.... use your Mark I eyeball as your primary navigation tool, and you'll do much better than you would just staring at the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
Back to electronics...I am on a mooring ball 200 yds off Puerto Morelos in Mexico. I can smell the bacon cooking in the restaurant.

My chart plotter shows me 880 yds further east on the other side of the reef. When I passed that reef sailing to the buoyed channel the plotter showed me 900 yds from the reef...

#1 Eyeball showed me to be exactly 100 yds from the reef. In the dark I would not have been within a mile of it and I would have hove-to in deep water until daylight.

I am using Navionics and Raymarine plotter but it is not the plotter that is wrong... it knows where I am... but the fact that the original chart is just off by 800 yds! Which is why, like Vega, I only trust the #1 eyeball.

Phil a Neo-Luddite

Neo-Luddism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook