SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forereaching?
Thread: Forereaching?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, you might get standing waves in this type of scenario, but not massive breaking waves coming in from multiple directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I've read Jordon's assertions that this doesn't happen, but I've wondered if that only takes into account straight-forward scenarios where a single storm progresses through an area in a fairly uniform direction. How about cases where storms have made sharp directional changes (some have even back-tracked on their own path) or where multiple storms have passed through an area from different directions in a short span of time, causing dangerously confused seas? Concerning sailing south of the equator, I've also read of cases of very large swells travelling up from the southern ocean and interacting with storm-tossed seas from a different direction to make them even more dangerous.

It's clear that Jordon did a lot to further the science on this issue and the series drogue has proven itself to be a very valuable device for storm management. Still, I'm a little skeptical about placing complete faith in any one engineer's theories, test results, and solutions. We could use a lot more of his systematic, thoughtful, and engineering-discipline based approach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook