SailNet Community - View Single Post - Uses for Chart plotters and chart plotting software
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbin2 View Post
. As an example does anyone save tracks and view them at home? Iím just not sure I see the value in some of the features. Thanks again for your input.
We do that... Occasionally we present slide shows of our cruises, and having the track record adds to the story (sometimes it shows our lousy tacking angles too, though... )

I've seen firsthand the inaccuracies in charting software - esp in Mexico around Tenacatita and Manzinillo though it's likely a problem everywhere there.

On the flip side I've been astounded at times by the accuracy here in the PNW. Our son bought a boat in Tacoma and we took it home to Vancouver on a cool March weekend, planning a two day trip.

As evening approached it was clear and we had a good moon so we decided to carry on. I had pre-planned our trip and had the route loaded into our Garmin MAP76. We did have radar. The trip plan was through the LaConner canal appropriately known as 'the ditch' and I'd put about 20 waypoints through that stretch (about 10-11 NM).

We had some moonlight, and lots of light in La Conner so with radar we were fine, but in fact we sat on the "Highway" that is the route line on the GPS the whole way after dark. Arriving in Anacortes at midnight we were able to find some fuel and carried on arriving home after 31 hours straight.

Still, attempting such a run without any visibility or radar would be foolhardy.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook