SailNet Community - View Single Post - dock line construction/measurements
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Three strand laid line is this:

Double braid lines usually look like this:

Single Braid lines usually look like this:

Notice the heavier strands in the single braid and three-strand laid lines.

BTW, laid lines should only be coiled clockwise and have a twist added to form a neat coil. The twise also helps prevent them from hockling and kinking when you uncoil them.

Braided lines should be coiled in a figure-eight type loop so that they don't get twisted up when you uncoil them.

How are you measuring the lines? You have to measure them when the line is not being stretched and not being compressed. I would guess you've got 3/4" lines. Given the weight and length of your boat, I'd recommend getting 3/4" dock lines at a minimum. Ideally, you'd be better off with 1" docklines for storm conditions and such...but they can be hard to handle.

I wouldn't buy docklnes from WM, even at 25% off..since they're very expensive compared to other retailers. I'd recommend using RWRope.com in New Bedford, Mass., instead. They're much more reasonably priced and have a much better selection. Talk to Paul down there and tell him Dan with the Telstar sent you.

BTW, double braid lines are nice for cleats and such, but the three-strand lines are better if you're tying up to pilings and such, since the rough surface tends to pick the strands out of the double braids more readily than it does three-strand lines.

You'll probably want some 25' lines for breast lines, 35' lines for bow and stern lines, and 50' lines for springs lines. I'd recommend color-coding the lines so you know what length a line is just by looking at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-02-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook