SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sending GX2150 AIS NMEA data to chart plotter over Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the advice. I share your concern about overloading the buffer on the baud converter, but since I am only sending GPS sentences once a second (not a whole bunch of multiplexed stuff) and these sentences are typically sent at 4800 baud via "standard NMEA", I am hopeful that I will have no overflow issues. The reason I'm sending it at 38400 is not because of increased bandwidth - it's because the system is simplified if I send it at the same baud rate that I receive the AIS data (only need one Bluetooth dongle and the radio multiplexes DSC and AIS onto the same port).

I agree that the E85001 is fragile. The "defect" that I referred to above was a smell of burning phenolics after I had it in use for about 5 min. I pulled it apart and saw a black spot on the bottom of the PC card (although it continued to work OK). After multiple calls to various tech support people I was assured that it was a component failure, not something that I caused. But it scared me enough that I decided to design it out of my system. Right now the only benefit it was giving me was putting depth into the chart plotter program, and I'd need to add a multiplexer to make that work anyway, which is just more cost than I want to bear right now.

FYI, the 18xLVC and Bluetooth converter came in yesterday. Although the radio is not in yet, I was able to connect the 18x to the Bluetooth converter, and get GPS fixes into OpenCPN wirelessly. I had previously tested the baud converter, so it looks like all the components are going to work. I just need to wait for the radio before I can hook them up the way I want them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook