SailNet Community - View Single Post - Loose Foot Main sail vs Foot Bolt Rope in boom Track
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
What does a loose foot main sail look like on the boom? Does the boom even come into play any more?

Every boat I've ever been on has had the bolt rope in it; I'm envisioning the old-style wooden ships setup where the sail is attached to rings that slide along the boom. Does anyone have a good photo showing the differences?
Here's what it looks like:
IMG_3366.JPG

The boom provides both an attachment for the mainsheet and a means to flatten the sail (by pulling on the outhaul) and/or the vang.

A loose-footed sail usually droops below the boom (like this one does) to provide better air-flow across the lower part of the sail... but it doesn't have to:

Note: The boat the pic is taken from in the top pic has a slug to hold the clew on - the one in the bottom pic uses a webbing strap. The blue line is the reefing line.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-02-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook