SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to become a live aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011

cat571 is on a distinguished road
Finally did it...but not where you would think!

I sold my house finally and found the boat I had wanted for years...a 1986 Catalina 36, in mint condition and affordable. I moved aboard Dec. 18th, and never saw the temp get above 23 degrees for 2 weeks. My weiner dog "Gus" was about to leave me, but he finally settled in and we are doing great!

We are on the Snake River at the base of Hells Canyon...465 miles up-river from Astoria, with plans this year of heading for Illwaco. I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 36 years, so I wanted to get the most out of life as possible while I can. I have my USCG captains license and have had for 10 years.

The one problem I had was the space issue..moving aboard after being a homeowner was a little rough..the folks I bought the boat from left me EVERYTHING that they had collected over 20 years also..so the drawers..closets..everything was already full of stuff...but I found I liked their stuff better than mine...so YARD SALE at the storage units.

Been at it 6 weeks now and patiently waiting for the weather to break....happy sailing all!!...and good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook