SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wannabe Sailor

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  lgherb 
#1 ·
I am new to sailing also and have the bug real bad after spending a week in Abaco last week....My mind is racing with thoughts of my own boat too. I have my eye on a 28' Hunter with two berths, galley, head, etc....I just keep telling my wife it is a different type of RV....So, I am trying to approach this the right way. Education first. Next week, I am taking a 10 hour adult basic sailing class taught on the water in a Flying Scott. Then in about two weeks, I will be at the beach with the Family and have made arrangements with a sailing club to go out with a few of their members. After that, who knows. Of course to make matters worse, I have a co-worker who is trying to get me into his friends boat....buying it; a 1987 28' Hunter. My thought, or maybe my plan, is to take the course, go out to gain some experience, and then in September (just in time to put it up for the winter) maybe buy the 28 footer and gain experience and confidence as time goes along.

Anyway, just sharing my sailing dream and love with fellow sailors and other wannabe sailors.

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds very well thought out.
Heres my story:
I got into sailing 10 years ago. I rented sailing videos and read seveal books. I also did alot of visualization (seeing myself sailing-pulling in the sheets and reacting to changing wind). I had never been on a sail boat. One day, I was driving past our marina and saw a Prindle 16 Catamaran for sale. Never sailing on a boat in my life or knowing about boats I purchased it for $900 with trailer. That weekend, my skills were tested. I had brought a friend (who also knew NOTHING about sailing) and we stepped the mast and riging pushed the cat out and began sailing. Every since that day I have been in love.

For me, I learn best at knowing the theory and then doing it. This is how I also began riding a Motorcycle.

After the 16ft Prindle cat I purchased a fixer-uper 24 ft. 1969 Bristol Corsair Monohaul. I spent a winter driving 2 hours each weekend-fixing the deck and interior. Never sailing a Monohaul, I set out for a 2 day sail back home. I had to learn how to read charts so I knew depth because it was a straight shoreline reach with sand and rock. I made it home.

I had that boat for 3 seasons and sold it for 3k more than I had bought it for.

After a 7 year dry spell from sailing from various reasons, my wife and I purchased a 30ft Catalina yesterday. I am excited to get back into sailing after many nights putting myself to sleep thinking of feeling pulled from 15 knot winds. I found my first love again.

Good luck to you and be safe.

#4 ·
Virginiasailor -- why not get your wife involved too. My significant other and i took ASA sailing lessons together and the captain made it clear that i was not to talk with her and when she had the wheel she was the captain and i did what she said. it worked as she also somewhat got the bug and knows how to sail and sail well.
by the way it isn't exactly the same as an rv and your first rain storm will make that very clear as will the such things as limited water use and the ability to take a walk after dinner.
If you think you can teach your wife forget it. I use to be a ski instructor and can't tell you how many times i saw major issues on the slopes when a husband or boyfriend tried to teach their other how to ski. It never worked. and i more than once took a girlfriend off the mountain and being told that she would never come back to the slopes nor would she ever go out the #$@%^&* again.
by the significant can sail but she got a promotion and decided she wants money more than sailing so when the house sells and i take off - i do so as a singlehandler.
good luck
chuck and soulmates

#6 ·
Great thread. I'm not a sailor but, I just took my first lessons a few months ago and what a blast it was. I was amazed by how much just a little bit of wind could move the boat. I was at the rudder and the Captain raised the Genoa, he said "watch this, it's like power steering", and it was.

I have a question for the Chesapeake pros on here......How long do you think it would take three novices to sail a 29 ft. sailboat from Hampton to Colonial Beach up the Potomac in late August or early September. We're Navy Guys, so we know sailing, but not real Sailing if you know what I mean.

I think this site is great, what a great thing the internet is, we're getting such a wealth of info reading all of the posts. In fact, it's funny how much info you can find by Googling a name, a phone number and/or even a Member name. Keep the info coming........

#7 ·
Well, folks, coming up on day three of my four day, 10 hour Adult Basic Sailing Course. We are sailing a 19' Flying Scot (http://www.flyingscot.com/). There are three students (two male one female) and one instructor. I think I have the hang of it and finally understand what jiving is (or is it jibing....as in with the jib). So, I am gaining some level of confidence and understanding of how the boat works (we also rigged the boat!). Two more classes and then all day Friday sailing - yahoo!

#8 ·
VirginiaSailor said:
Well, folks, coming up on day three of my four day, 10 hour Adult Basic Sailing Course. We are sailing a 19' Flying Scot (http://www.flyingscot.com/). There are three students (two male one female) and one instructor. I think I have the hang of it and finally understand what jiving is (or is it jibing....as in with the jib). So, I am gaining some level of confidence and understanding of how the boat works (we also rigged the boat!). Two more classes and then all day Friday sailing - yahoo!
Are you taking your course at Belle Haven in Alexandria?

If so, I took a course there the week of 9-11. Very good basic courses at a very affordable price.

Your enthusiasm is infectious...enjoy!!

#9 ·
Yeup! That's the one. 10 hours for $275 or something. Learning on the 19' Flying Scot made in good old Oakland, MD. Nice boat, I heeled that sucker over yesterday on a close hull and one of my fellow students shreiked! Awesome! Have my final today or last class, not sure. How was your last class? Did you get a certificate? The other cool thing is they give you free use of a boat for the week following your class. I plan on taking them up on that for sure.

Next step is sailing with a club in Delaware in August, then maybe another club in September, and then maybe, maybe get my boat.....:eek:

#10 ·
VirginiaSailor said:
Yeup! That's the one. 10 hours for $275 or something. Learning on the 19' Flying Scot made in good old Oakland, MD. Nice boat, I heeled that sucker over yesterday on a close hull and one of my fellow students shreiked! Awesome! Have my final today or last class, not sure. How was your last class? Did you get a certificate? The other cool thing is they give you free use of a boat for the week following your class. I plan on taking them up on that for sure.

Next step is sailing with a club in Delaware in August, then maybe another club in September, and then maybe, maybe get my boat.....:eek:
Yes...take them up on that. Also, as a "graduate" I think you get to rent 1/2 price during the weekdays.

I indeed got the Red Cross cert at class end.

Last day for us was pretty windy and we ended up sailing with the jib down and main reefed somewhat. Nothing like close hauled sailing in a small boat in stiff wind!! :)

Saw "Chip" in the West Marine in old town a week or so ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.