SailNet Community - View Single Post - How can I stop my boat from sinking?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the approach you take in the colder northern waters Exiles will be dealing with are going to have to be very different from those taken in more temperate waters. Hypothermia is a huge problem when working in extremely northern waters, like he will encounter in a NW passage attempt. That changes the tactics you can use. If the water is 70˚, you can fish around in the hull and try to stop/reduce the inflow without much risk. When the water temp is 40˚, that is no longer a really smart option.

Also, with water temps in the 40s, the chances of making permanent repairs basically goes away on a fiberglass boat, unless you can find a waterproof epoxy that can set underwater in temperatures that low. I know COLDCURE epoxy works in temps down to about 30˚F, but I don't believe it will set underwater. None of the underwater setting emergency epoxy putties that I can think of will work in water that cold... so a permanent repair is very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You will need two focuses. The first and most important is the temporary/emergency response. These include wooden or newer tapered rubber plugs of many different sizes. I just ordered a product called Stay Afloat, that looks like a wax that will stop a reasonably sized leak. stayafloatmarine.com Then you have the outer hull mating that you tied under your boat. I've always struggled to imagine that working, but others might know better.

Once you are assured to remain afloat, you then need a limitless supply of materials and tools to make a durable repair, based upon your vessel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-03-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook