SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roach and How Many Battens?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem probably isn't the fact that you've got full battens, but more likely that the battens are causing pressure against the sail track and the resulting friction is what makes raising/lowering the sail difficult. I have the same issue with my sail.

If you were to upgrade to a batt car or Tides Strong Track system when you get your new main sail, I'd bet that you'd find even a full battened mainsail would be easier to raise and lower than what you've got now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
We've been discussion mainsail feet in a separate thread. Now for the battens.

As many of you know, I'm buying a mainsail. I'd like for it to be a cruising triadial, but cost will force it to be a cross cut. We predominately cruise with an occasional race. Longevity is key closely followed by performance. Primary location is the Chesapeake and perhaps coastal offshore (Annapolis- Newport) if I can get enough time to get that far south, blah, blah.

The sail will be loose footed for all the reasons listed in the other thread. The next question is the number of battens and the roach. I'd like as full a roach as possible to maximize sail area, but am in a bit of a quandary regarding # of battens. I'm leaning toward 2 full upper and 2 partial lower battens. The North dealer suggests 4 full battens for longevity. I already have 4 full battens on my old retrofitted main and it's difficult to hoist at times (it's 60lbs).

Opinions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook