SailNet Community - View Single Post - luffing the leech ...
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
luffing the leech ...

Our boat is a with fractional rigged 26 footer with swept back spreaders. We carry a 100%, 150% genoa and full batten main and spinnaker ...

The other day I was out sailing with my daughter in very light breeze (approx 5 knots). We were tacking upwind and she went below for a nap on a particularly long tack.

I looked at the trailing edge of the 150 and noticed that there was a hook indicating the leech was too tight for conditions. As it was a lzay day and we weren't racing I decided it was driving me crazy. So I eased the leech line and waited for it to play out.

On this day the wind was so light that we were not trying to point particularly high but were trying to keep the boat moving. The windex was just outside the feathers and normally we can point about 10 degrees higher but at the price of speed.

OK. So after I eased the leech the aft 1/3 of the sail started to luff even though the leading telltales were streaming on oth windward and leeward sides. It was an oscilating motion almost like a flag waving.

When I sheeted the genoa in a bit and trimmed to point a bit higher the oscillation ceased.

As it was a lazy day I spent some time thinking about this. The luffing was obviously not great but neither was the hook in the leech with which it had not ocurred. So what did this tell me about the sail? Perhaps I needed to move my cars from the genoa track outboard to the rail? (approx 5 inches).

Any thoughts?

The boat is a 1979 Hinterhoeller Niagara 26. The sail is a North 150% Radial Kevlar purchasd new in 2003.

Thanks

Mike

Full Tilt 2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook