SailNet Community - View Single Post - iPhone navigation apps.
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
I'm getting an iPhone now that they have them from Verizon. Does anyone have experience with their navigation apps? I sail out of Raritan Bay in NJ up and down the East Coast, Maine to the Chesapeake. I would appreciate any recommendations and advice. How do they compare in usefulness to a chartplotter? Do you need a phone signal or can they work on gps alone?
My experience is with an AT&T iPhone. All currently available information is that the Verizon iPhone will operate the same. It is certainly in the realm of possibility that there will be some differences.

On the AT&T iPhone without a cell signal the phone hits the battery pretty hard looking for a signal. Putting the phone in airplane mode is the obvious response. Unfortunately the phone GPS won't acquire a signal in airplane mode. There is no error message - it just sits there and hunts.

I've been very happy with Charts & Tides, including the excellent ActiveCaptain information. Offshore away from cell signals I keep the phone in airplane mode except for when I'm explicitly looking at Charts & Tides or one of my other GPS/navigation applications. That seems to be a reasonable approach.

I'm hoping that some future upgrade to iOS will give us a way to turn the GPS back on in airplane mode, just as we can currently choose to turn wifi back on in airplane mode.

My partner ordered a Verizon iPhone yesterday - we're looking forward to side-by-side comparisons.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook