SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Great Ocean Race
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Fantastic, and yes, personally I'd much rather do the race than the cruise. Would be a pretty big undertaking and require a governing body, more than likely one of which will require certain offshore gear which would probably make it unattainable for a small boat's budget. But I'm listening...

I don't see this taking off though unfortunately. Too much time off from work. People don't enjoy pushing themselves on a boat anymore. They'd rather sit on the beach getting fat.
Exactly. Everything has to have so much regulation and organization today that it's a burden for anyone to undertake organizing and expensive for anyone to participate.

If you noticed this race took place the same weekend as Down the Bay which to my knowledge is currently the longest distance Race on the Chesapeake currently being held. As you know, that race was only recently resurrected and is today seen as a challenge. Also I've heard rumors that its future is uncertain. I've crewed DTB on a boat that I know is hella' faster than mine, but its wasn't a lot faster than some of the 42+ foot roller furling main equipped behemoths that are prevalent on the bay today. Those boats even with their cruising amenities could do DTB in fine style in reasonable times yet participation is down. Why do sailors today seem to lack the mettle of sailors from decades past?

Reading this article has me really motivated to attempt both DTB and the Gov Cup this year on my 4ksb. Though as I sit here I can think of a 1/2 dozen reason why I probably won't be able to including lack of crew, expense and logistics of getting the boat to the start and back from the finish etc.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 02-04-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook