SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Great Ocean Race
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Yeah, bribes definitley help but the issue as you touched on is people don't want to burn vacation for a sailboat race much less the delivery legs. I have one friend that's a near Olympic level sailor, but she's a recent mother and working on a doctorate so her availability is nil. I might be able to recruit her husband who has some experience but isn't in her league.

I totally agree about planning events too much around the early finishers. If it takes a lot of boats to pay the freight on your long distance race, you need to arrange the event so the slow guys get to enjoy the event and the party. If there was an earlier start for the C and non-spin fleets so they could finish around the same time as the guys in the faster fleets on these distance races and everyone could enjoy a big party and celebrate their accomplishment I think you'd see a lot more guys like me getting involved.

I get that it's racing so it's about getting there first, but you'd think some changes to keep the event healthy might be in order.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook