SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sending GX2150 AIS NMEA data to chart plotter over Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman480 View Post
The problem with this is that the AIS data will also be passed to the baud rate converter, thus causing the overflow if you are in a high AIS use area, which the Delaware is.

Also on the GX2100 - GPS data is not repeated on the AIS data line - I don't know if this is rectified on the GX2150. I have a GX2100 with a GPF300i - they play very well together, but it is a pain to have to run two serial lines to the computer to get both AIS and GPS data.
Please have another look at my "Plan E" schematic. AIS data goes directly from the radio to the Bluetooth dongle at 38400. It does not go through the baud rate converter.

SH tech support confirmed that GPS data is not repeated, in compliance with the NMEA 0183 standard. That is why the Oregon GPS is tethered to the Netbook. I am considering a further revision that will add a second Bluetooth dongle to pass the 18x GPS data to the Netbook wirelessly instead. It might be a good idea to be able to monitor the GPS fix that the DSC/AIS is getting. I'd hate to hit the "distress" button and have the wrong coordinates go out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook