SailNet Community - View Single Post - Joining the hobby/first sailboat
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011

alcapown is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the warm welcome, I will be rereading all posts too, and take in as much as I can as I think about my possible endeavor. I wonder if that is a good price on that boat, and how much an outboard will be, and putting it on etc. I have more research to do, also I went out and bought several sailing magazines today, I loved it lol. To be out on the water is something I fell in love with as a child, I can think of nothing I'd rather do. And I have always been blown away by the beauty of sailing, and the magnificent schooners of the past and present, and although I'm far from those, just to be out there sailing, even as small-scale as I will be, to me just would be an incredible experience.

And Silvio, that is fantastic advice, I do need to settle down and maybe takes thing slower and invest in some lessons first, and then make a purchase. That would be the sensible thing to do, I just struggle to show patience on this particular subject, its something that I have wanted to do my entire life, but unfortunately none of my friends nor family share the passion, so learning from experience is something I missed out on, but I have researched schools etc, and a local one shut down recently, the closest appear to be in Atlanta, and separated between 3 Saturdays, which is a tad inconvenient to make the trip three separate times, but I'll see. I also have absolutely no monetary help, thus I am really having to budget here, but its something that matters enough to me to go broke for, . Lessons cost about a third of the boat's cost, but I'm sure they are more than worth it.

And mattstamour, I like that you said it looks like a blast to learn on, what makes you say that? Also, it would continue to be a nice boat until I can upgrade in the future, right? lol. Also, the last line of your post gave me and my girlfriend a good laugh lol, I love that image, and couldnt agree more :P.

I just imagine my summer days being spent out on the water, just me and my girl(boat), and I couldnt think of a happier way to spend the days. I hope with proper planning, and research I can make my dream a reality, but it kind of seems that the cost is a bit overwhelming on all other boats beside the one I found, making me worried. But nothing worth doing or having comes easy, and I care too much to ignore this "calling" if you will till later in life. I am loving the community, thanks a ton for the warm welcome again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook