SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help choosing my barrier coat system: Interprotect vs. West System vs. Other?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Help choosing my barrier coat system: Interprotect vs. West System vs. Other?

After stripping off all of the gelcoat below the waterline, grinding out blisters, and drying the hull for about 8 months; I am nearing the time where I will begin to repair, fair, barrier coat and paint.

I am trying to figure out which products I will be using so I can cost out the whole thing and get organized. I have some questions regarding which brands/systems I should go with at each stage. I am trying to pick the best product for each stage of the bottom job, but I keep reading that I should stick with one system (such as Interlux from fairing all the way to paint). But I also see products like West System or System Three that would require me to use another brand for paint...so a full bottom job with one brand might not be necessary.

For filling, fairing and repairing I had intended on using West System or US Composites epoxy with the necessary fillers for the job. (edit: and I just now discovered Interlux Epiglass to add to the confusion) I will need to do a lot of fairing on the bottom, so would West System be a good choice or should I consider a product like System Three Quickfair, or Interlux Interprotect Watertite Epoxy Filler?

I then intend to add a barrier coat using either West System epoxy + barrier coat filler; or the Interlux Interprotect system. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each barrier coat system? I see many people using Interprotect around the boat yard, but since I will be buying a ton of epoxy for the fairing job and for other uses around the boat I don't see why I shouldn't just use West System barrier coat filler for the job. Is it an inferior product for protecting against water intrusion? I am a little skeptical due to the overwhelming use of Interprotect.

As for bottom paint...I'll come to that at another time and will probably ask around the local area for what works best. I am more concerned about the fairing and barrier coat right now. I just don't want to do a bad job because it cost less (hypothetically) to use System Three fairing, West System barrier coat, then Interlux bottom paint; only to find that the three don't work well together.

Last edited by Beersmith; 02-07-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook