SailNet Community - View Single Post - replacing universal atomic in '82 O'day
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011

dickybrewer5 is on a distinguished road
Hi and thanks for replying. Here is my latest info. I found a place called Schooner Bay Imported Motors in Wisconsin (ph# 715-779-3266). I talked to a guy named Al back in June of 2010 and he said that they have re-manufactured Universal Atomic 4 cylinder diesels with the same footprint as the one coming out. I was quoted a price of 4500 without core, I can get a core refund if I turn in the old motor. I am not happy about the idea of cutting into my cockpit flooring. It looks to me like getting this motor out is going to be a pain in the backside, but I'm going to try to get the seized motor out by removing all external parts and probably the head too - which will tell me what happened to that motor (it is the original 1982 motor). If this motor can be rebuilt, I'll use it. I will probably be too busy to do anything about this until the fall of this year - I'm an owner/operator big rig driver and busy, need to make money for this and other projects. I have recently replaced the bilge and done some other upkeep but need to measure to see exactly how the motor will have to come out. I LOVE this sailboat and it sails and handles open ocean like a dream - very stable, fast (not a racer but not slow at all) conveniently laid out EXCEPT for the motor replacement. I'm really baffled that there does not seem to be a reasonably clear way to remove/replace the motor but maybe someone out there knows and can tell me, if not I'll find out one way or another when I crawl in the motor compartment and start removing the motor myself.
I really appreciate hearing from all of you and I'll try to respond to your posts more specifically. If anyone has ideas about motor replacement, you can see quite allot of pictures of sailing vessel Venteux on my facebook page Find Your Friends on Facebook | Facebook or search my name on face book if the link doesn't work (Richard Armstrong, Grants Pass Oregon). If you find my page at face book, click on photos and you'll see my albums, I have a whole album of pictures of VENTEUX Regards, Richard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook