SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mermaid AC - any experiance
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Mermaid AC - any experiance

Hi,

OK we realize a lot of people are freezing and this may not be the best time however…

We are looking for some reviews on the Mermaid AC.

Has anyone had any experience with the Mermaid AC unites?

Yes there are lot of punch line here for Mermaids

We have a 36’ Islander Freeport sail boat and are looking to install two unites. I think we need about 16,000 btu to cool the whole boat in the south of Mexico in the summer.

We have space considerations and do not want either of the AC unites installed in the stateroom.

So the first unite is the Mermaid (M5: 5,200 BTU System) 5,200 btu’s. It has a small foot print and will fit in our tight space. This will also give us the ability to run this off our Honda 2000 genset or we can run it dockside on 110 or even our inverter.

I have heard that the Mermaids are noisy. Is this true? I mean compared to say a Climma, KingAir, MarineAir or Dometic.

The second unite would probably be the Mermaid (M12: 12,000 BTU System) 12,000 btu unite. We could possibly go with the 9000 btu unite but either way it will not be an issue as much.

The noise lever is the main concern here I think. We do have more space in for installing this unite. With bothe unites running at the same time it could sound like we are on a jet plane or worse!

It could be a another manufacturer but we would rather not complicate it with different manufacturers.

We have looked at many options and were trying for one unite but just do not have the space for it.

The two unite solution also solves the at anchor problem. I know there are 12v unites out there also but at a slip we could use both unites on 110 this way which we could cool the whole boat not using the batteries.

Is it true that Mermaid parts are easy to come by in Central America?

Is the Mermaid nosier than most other brands of marine AC unites?

They are attractive in both price and size, and it seems they are popular.
I have searched the forums here but have not come across any reviews of the unites or the Mermaid in particular.

Other suggestions for brands beside just using fans or window AC or flapping Mermaid tails
Thank you,
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 02-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook