SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help choosing my barrier coat system: Interprotect vs. West System vs. Other?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
If you are fairing the bottom of your boat, get templates for the keel and rudder as well. This little extra step can add a tremendous amount of performace to your boat. Spend 80-90% of your effort on the foils, the other 10-20% on the rest of your bottom. Do it once, and it'll pay you back year after year. I used west systems epoxy, a little more expensive (buy the pumps if you go this route) but its simple enough to work with. I used silica for filler below the waterline. I had to build up a section of the keel and rudder, then shave 3/16" off the side of the keel. The silica as a filler is very hard to sand, use it sparingly.

I used petite products. You need a mixing attachment on a drill to mix the barrier coat but that's not uncommon. I only wish I had sanded the last coat a bit smoother as this would've allowed the bottom paint to go on smoother. Allow proper drying time. All I did was wipe down the gelcoat with acetone, and roll on the barrier coat.

I'm using white Vivid paint and just thinned it the max allowed and rolled it w/ 1/8" foam rollers. This year I plan to thin and roll and tip for a better/smoother finish. Spraying would be the best, but hell, you're going to re-coat next year anyway.

Maintenance is diving on the boat with a sponge once a month until it gets warm. Then its once a week. When it starts to get chilly, I go back to twice a month, then once a month, then I say screw it when the water hits 50*.