SailNet Community - View Single Post - Columbia 32' 6.9 M
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
Wow,

Now that was the information that I was looking for! I guess I got the "Islander" mixed up with the Columbia (manufactured in Costa Mesa, CA), though there is a close connection with the boats back in the mid to late 70's from what I understand. Much of the work that you did on your Columbia was addressed with the boat that we were looking at (possibly the only advantage of considering a classic plastic is that we are getting in late enough to reap the rewards of work already been done).

They are asking $15K from what I remember.

We are looking at the Allied boats as well as the more traditional Cape Dory's, later model Pearsons (32' Vagabond) and some other Alberg designs. Obviously the drawback with these vessels is the lack of beam below deckswhen we are talking about getting two adults and two children comfy below decks. Stepping away from tradition, we have extended our search to the Columbias for their space and performance, and even looked at some newer Islanders...though I know very little about these boats as well.

I will keep my eyes open for some of the other models that Columbia manufactured in the same era. Any suggestions for a family of four cruising the coast of Northern New England?

Thanks so much for your help and information. It was more than I could have hoped for!

Chris

Last edited by scurvy; 07-27-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook