SailNet Community - View Single Post - What state for Dinghy or tender registration
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-10-2011
Senior Member
RichH's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,462
Thanks: 42
Thanked 249 Times in 235 Posts
Rep Power: 18
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
heres some info i found
Vessel Boat Registration and Information
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Non motorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Non motorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
so it appears you dont need to register it if you row it and dont use the motor. with any motor you have to register it in California
here in WA you dont need to register a tender as long as all it does is between shore facilities and your main vessel.
The US LAW concerning dinghies being used as tenders for 'documented vessels' is virtually IGNORED by most 'revenue seeking' municipal (state/county/city/town,etc.) entities. Even that its US LAW you're not going to get very far without a displayed registration on a motorized dink .... hassles, intimidation from salivating marine police, etc., as your cost of legal recovery from improper/illegal fines etc. etc. is ultimately going to cost you more in time and $$$$$$ than a simple 'dink license'. Without a license on a dink with a motor in MOST places ---- you've identified yourself as a 'prey species', and no matter what the 'law' actually is.
RichH is online now  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome