SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to become a live aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011

billybigrig4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfound13 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been sailing since I could swim, which I have been doing since I could walk and recently met someone who told me about her and her husband's grand plans to live on a boat 12 months a year in Boston. What hooked me was that she explained the costs and how it wasnt something only millionaires could do. So I am 1.5 yr out from when I would hope and be able to move onto a boat. What do I need to do and where do I find info on it all? (boat size, type etc) Obviously, I need to acquire a boat and find a location where I can get a 12 month slip but besides that I dont know where to start? Any help, guidance, thoughts etc would be greatly appreciated.

To my new grand plan
Several years back, after my 4th divorce, I bought ( now don't everyone start laughing ) a Buccaneer 240. I was working at the Nevada Test Site and kept the boat at Lake Mead. I was sharing a place with a buddy of mine and spent the weekends on " Genisus." I met a couple who had purchased a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 and were living aboard with thier teenage daughter and two dogs. It struck me that if they could do it with all the stuff a family of three needs then why couldn't I do it too. When I made the move I had enough stuff to fill a 10X10 storage shed. After about a year I had whittled the stuff down to zip! I lived on that boat for 4.5 years before moving up to a Union 36. To make a long story short. If you really want to liveaboard "Just do it!." If you let yourself get bogged down with a lot of "Oh, I have to have this, or, I have to have that," you will more then likly never do it. There is no greater stress reliever then to get home from work and go sailing for about two hours. W.W. McElrath ( now sailing on a lake in Arkansas )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook