SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outhaul for Loose Foot Main
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011

mwlewis is on a distinguished road
Outhaul

I just installed a new outhaul in my Catalina 38' (loose footed). I used two double blocks (side by side pulleys) to create a 6' purchase inside the boom at the aft end. One end exits the aft end of the boom in a double block installed in the top and attaches to the clew. The other end exits the bottom of the front of the boom in another double block, and goes down to a single block at the foot of the mast, then through a block near the hand rail and back around the traveller to the cockpit where it can be winched. The second pulley in the boom is used for a reefing line to also be operated from the cockpit. Wanted to make the boat more single handed, so I took all the winches off the boom and mast and now run all the lines back to the cockpit. Put two larger winches on the cabin house, as there was only a small one on the right cabin house side.

Idea for the above belongs to Dave Millett, my salesman from Long Beach Yacht Sales. He's raced for 25 years, and said this is how it's done now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook