SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard in FL
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-10-2011 Thread Starter
Living aboard in FL

My name is Chris and i'm new to this forum and thread stuff. Anyway, i'm a converted power boater 38' Chris Craft, to a 35' John Allmand tri-cabin with a 4'2" shoal draft and a 29hp Yanmar. I had lived off and on, on the Chris Craft for 3 years. The last about 5 months full time. Stayed in a hotel for 3 weeks after I sold the Chris Craft and semi- out fitted the John Allmand. (new floors, heat and air, Cleaned it up a bit) I've been onboard now since July, (about 8 months) and enjoy it. I have a lot of questions about how to continue to out fit it, and many more about cruzing.
I've boated for 20+ years, i'm 39 years old. Sailed my young adult life, small boats (sunfish, lazers, Etc.) nothing over '24. I was a member of the Coast Gaurd Aux. (coxswain, vessal inspector, VFC, Etc.)
I try to sail most weekends, weather permitting, and i'm always tinkering about. I'd like to sail the FL Keys, Bahamas, and beyond. I thought the John Allmand was a great start. The beyond part I might need a different boat.
Well, that's me in a nut shell. I guess it's time for a question.
I'm have a hard time making up my mind on what type of electrical system to go with. Currently I have a 120v panel and a 12v panel. Two battery banks, one is 2-125ah deep cycles (250ah new), the other is 2 750cca starting batteries. I have a 120v 10amp charger 5/5 and a 50amp alt. on the yanmar. I'm just day sailing now but when it warms up I want to extend that to 2-3 day trips and maybe 2-4 weeks before hurricane season.
Do I increase my alt. to 80amps, put a wind gen. or solar panels? How about a 3 or 4 kw gen.. should I add more bat. to my 250ah bank or set up 3 bat. banks. I would like to put a small inverter on for TV and music, etc..
Just the first of many questions. I guess it's multiple questions. I was spoiled on the Chris Craft, 7.5kw gen., 10-6v bat. to power a 2500w inverter, three chargers, 20gh watermaker, holding tank and eletrasan, a heafty fuel bill, on and on. Now I have a fresh start. I want to do it right for what i'm going to do. Weekend and 2-4 week cruzing.
I apprecate any and all input.
Thanks in advance,
(please excuse the spelling and grammer mistakes!! Can't find spell check!)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome