SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Bolt/Bilge Issues
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Keel Bolt/Bilge Issues

Hello!

Just wanted to share some info and pics with everyone..

I've been sanding my bottom in order to do any necessary repairs, new barrier coat, and antifouling, etc. While sanding I noticed a crack a few inches below the keel joint...and I saw what looked like rust stains coming out of it. The only place on the entire boat that has any rust is in the bilge. My keel bolts are horribly corroded (an issue I plan to tackle in a few weeks). I also noticed that the only blisters on the entire boat were above this area...not a single blister anywhere else.

Naturally I got very concerned when I saw the rust and began to open up the crack (first picture). I want to do a proper repair so I decided to expose everything in that area where water could be seeping down from the bilge (second picture). And in the third picture you can actually see some water coming out right at the keel joint.

Below are the pics...

This also raises a lot of new questions for my fellow SN'ers..

1. Do you think that the water from the bilge caused the blisters to form?
2. It's hard to keep the bilge dry all the time...would it make sense to barrier coat the bilge?
3. My keel is not encapsulated. Does anyone advise that I do that at this time? Would I benefit from it?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KeelRepair01.jpg (83.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg KeelRepair02.jpg (49.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg KeelRepairLG.jpg (96.4 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by SailingWebGuy; 02-11-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add more info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook