SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest 34 any out there?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhairgal View Post
One more thing about blisters. We bought our boat in January while it was below freezing. We had a surveyor who used a moisture meter, he did not find blisters. We found a few later on and ground then down etc. After we had the bottom blasted it became evident that we had more blisters. We bought a moisture meter and low and behold in warmer weather there were many more. After the peeling we found the bottom was covered with small blisters some of which went quite deep. The bottom is as thick as 1" in some places, its a good thing it is. I suggest you not be so cavalier about the bottom. It may be fine but don't assume you can take care of it yourself. Find out where the boat has been. If it was kept in the water year round for many years expect blisters. Our boat was a live aboard for 8 years in the Chesapeake.
Redhairgal
I will ask where it has been and how long it has been in the water. I saw some evidence that it needs a good bottom cleaning but a good sail would help it out a lot more.
I am anything but cavalier but blisters but it seems they are part of the game we play wanting a good boat at a reasonable cost these days.
Did you repair the blisters yourself or have a professional do it to the hull?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook