SailNet Community - View Single Post - Polars, PHRF, boat speed, boat shopping
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
What is the size of boat you are looking and your budget?

Regards

Paulo
Size limits are to what is trailer-able. Budget should be limited to around $10K used. In theory, I could go much higher on budget if the sailing concept was more palatable to the rest of the family. In other words, I could afford more, but for something that only I enjoy, it should not consume that high of a % of available funds. DW sort of got interested in the concept of a power sailor because she does not like to be so dependent on something so fickle as the wind. But if it is a dog under sail, what is the point? Anything moving less than ~4.5 knots gets pretty boring for the rest of the family. Trimoran could be perfect, but way beyond the budget unless I got real lucky. Boat needs to have at least a cabin where one can sit fully upright. (not that I was interested, but a Capri22 cabin is too short)

I had been previously interested in the smaller Beneteau's Firsts, but after seeing a larger First at a show, I was very unimpressed with the quality of the interior. Don't have enough experience about boats to judge the exterior and rigging, but if the interior construction was any indication, I was disappointed. Was made like a cheap RV.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook