SailNet Community - View Single Post - I just don't get it. Winter Storage
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I used to pay to have my Newport 28 shrink wrapped. I paid extra for a door and vents. The place did a great job and the boat stayed nice and dry and was better for it. My O'day 35 came with a nice cover. Yeah, no more $$ for shrink wrap.

Unfortunately, the cover was designed to go on with the rig up. There is an opening for the mast, boom, and standing rigging. I have the rig down (required by the yard I use). In past years I just laid the cover over the boat and tied it securely. It worked OK, but I could not easily get on the boat and there was no way to go forward of the cockpit.

So this year I make a nice (or so I thought) frame of 1X2 to get the cover up off the deck and allow me to move around the boat. Well, the record snow we had broke the 'spine' of my frame. The vertical supports are still standing, but now there are sags that allow water and snow to collect. So now I need to visit the boat after each snow and rain to remove everything.

Next year I will be sure to do a better job of construction the frame.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook