SailNet Community - View Single Post - I just don't get it. Winter Storage
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Is this boat located in a yard in Salem, MA?

Has does one cover the scuppers for a cockpit? Aren't they on the cockpit sole? Do you when that he/she wrapped the tarp so far under the boat that the scupper drains are wrapped over?

DrB
No, she is in Hingham.

The new owner laid the trap down in the cockpit and covered the influent side of the scuppers. So the tarp made the cockpit into a bathtub.

With that boat, the drains are in the front of the cockpit near the companion way and the boat is designed to be tilted forward when in the water. The first year I owned the boat, the yard placed her with a tilt back because most boats have the scuppers in the back. It rained hard the day after is was full and when I went to the boat the cockpit was half full. On most of the boats out there, the yard would have been right in the way they set the boat. But they never even looked to make sure they were right.

My point is, don't blindly trust your yard with any aspect of your boat. Check it out for yourself.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook