SailNet Community - View Single Post - good light rowing dinghy plans?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Have a look at the designs from B&B, Graham has drawn some very sweet boats… I built a nesting Spindrift, really nice little boat that rows beautifully. If you built one from a material called Coosa, it could come in at a fairly light weight. I’ve never used that material, but have heard great things about it…

spindrift

Now, if you want to go ultra-light, have a look at Platt Monfort’s boats, they’re very cool… Whether they would stand up to the rigors of use as a yacht tender, of course, is another matter…

Geodesic AiroLITE Boats - ultra lightweight SOF canoes and boats; plans, projects and tutorials

I have a Spindrift 10N (N for nesting). I like it a lot. It's definitely light enough, especially once split into the two halves.

My only complaints are:
Low freeboard. Could another 3-4" there.

Low Boom for the sailing kit. The little boat has a huge sail for it's size, but the boom is a bit low for operating while sitting on the seat. Sitting on the bottom, you tend to get a wet bum (see freeboard issue). I planning on having the boom raised (shortening sail) a bit to make it more manageable. I don't race so I don't really care about top speed.

The spindrift does row and sail very well.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook