SailNet Community - View Single Post - Loose engine mount studs
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateau25 View Post
I just posted this as a new Junior member.

I sail on the Hudson river in NY on a 1981 Newport 28 built by Capital Yacht powered by an inboard Universal 5411, which incidentally just died. I am now in the process of trying to pull it out for repair or replacement.

Already I have an issue which I hope someone could advise me on:
As I started to look at how to remove the motor from its mounts (flex mounts, 4 of them) I discovered all of the studs that attach the motor mounts to the fiberglass stringer would spin with their nuts as I loosened them. Any suggestions how I could take these out without damaging the studs or having to dig them out and damage the stringers in the process (and also save whatever skin I have on my knuckles!)? How were the studs installed in the first place? I will try to post pics the next time.

I should be grateful if anyone could share their knowledge or expertise on this...

Many thanks to all!
Do the mounts look like the two on the left?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook