SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for some sailing statistics

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  argalax 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find some statistics about sailing? I'm looking for things like numbers of pleasure registered sailboats in the U.S.and is this a past time that is growing, or decreasing during this recession. I'm not even sure if these are statistics that are available anywhere, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Linni

#2 ·
Try contacting BoatUS, which has a lot of boating related information.

#3 ·
US Sailing would also have this sort of info. Looking up "Saving Sailing", the book by Nick Hayes, may also provide the type of data you want. He's essentially researched this thoroughly, and determined that numbers have fallen off so much in the last 20 years that sailors are practically an endangered species. He promotes a variety of methods to rebuild numbers, including debunking the myth that going sailing has to be expensive. He came to our club and told us, IIRC, that sailing centers across the U.S. enabled people on average to go sailing for an entire season for about $350, if they wanted to. It was a LOT less than golfing, in any case. Recent fuel cost increases may actually help to boost sailing, as people who want to be out on the water see that can be done more cheaply without engines.

#4 ·
US Sailing would also have this sort of info. Looking up "Saving Sailing", the book by Nick Hayes, may also provide the type of data you want. He's essentially researched this thoroughly, and determined that numbers have fallen off so much in the last 20 years that sailors are practically an endangered species. He promotes a variety of methods to rebuild numbers, including debunking the myth that going sailing has to be expensive. He came to our club and told us, IIRC, that sailing centers across the U.S. enabled people on average to go sailing for an entire season for about $350, if they wanted to. It was a LOT less than golfing, in any case. Recent fuel cost increases may actually help to boost sailing, as people who want to be out on the water see that can be done more cheaply without engines.
Without a complete reliance on engines... ;) Most sailboats, at least the larger ones, have engines.

#6 ·
Hello,
dont want to make new thread...

Any suggestions, where can I find a statistic about whole world sailing marker? Im interesting in sailing yachts and especially in number of people, participiated in any kind of activity of clubs and racing.

Thank you.

#7 ·
ISAF might be a place to start. They're the one outfit that's supposed to represent the sport of sailing worldwide. Send them an email and see what you get. Their focus on racing may skew the numbers downwards from the actual total, but you can at least ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.