SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help With Some Projects
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006

gpd955 is on a distinguished road
Help With Some Projects

Need help with my "new" list of projects!!
Maybe I can tap some of the experience out there!! I have a new list of things that I have to tackle on the "Victim", so any help would be great!

Sorry if this is a repeat for some, I also posted it on another forum to increase my number of suggestions!

1- With the 1.97in of rain we got in 5 hours on Saturday morning, I found a multitude of new leaks!!
a. Head portlight leaks between inside frame and hull. It was so bad, I ran out to the store and got plumbers epoxy and filled the whole outside frame.
b. A few cabin portlights leak from under the rubber gasket in the track on the inside frame.
c. Numerous bolts (traveler, winch) on the roof of the cabin drip!

2- Having some trouble with the engine controls...they are the ones mounted on the port side of the cockpit (1979 Catalina 30, A4) It grinds when it I put it in reverse and switching from reverse to forward is noisy! I would like to go with pedestal mounted controls...has anyone done this??

3- At moderate RPM's it feels like someone is banging on the bottom of the boat and it is noisy! I changed the cutlass bearing prior to commissioning and also had the engine aligned by a professional. Any suggestions as to the cause??

I'm sure these projects will keep me busy for the remainder of the season!

Thanks all for your help!

Jack Manning
S/V Victim of Fate
Atlantic City, NJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook