SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 34 mainsail shape problem
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011

ondinesail is on a distinguished road
C&C 34 mainsail shape problem

I race aboard a friend's C&C 34 (1978 vintage) and handle the mainsail. We are having a good deal of difficulty getting good mainsail shape. Both genoas severely backwind the first 4-5 feet of the mainsail in just about any wind speed. The backwind runs pretty much from tack to head. We get good flow over the aft half of the sail and the leach tell tales look right. The sail does not look blown out and the material is in good shape. The genoa carts are located conventionally. If we run the mainsail cart well to windward the sail eventually fills out a bit more but we just heel the boat and reduce drive. I can never get a decent looking luff when we are on the wind. Frustrating to sail with bad trim when the boat responds to trim so nicely. I feel there must be something we are missing in the rig set up or sail handling, but I am out of ideas. Perhaps these rigs were meant to be sailed with mast bend and the sail was cut anticipating that? Anyway. would welcome any experience others may have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook