SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your experiences with a baby and a boat
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Glad to hear so many folks had good experiences with babies on boats, as I'm in a similar predicament to the OP, except I've already got the boat.

For us so far it's been satisfying Mommy more than any concern about the baby herself. Mommy is worried that the interior of the boat does not provide any comfortable place to feed her or change her or for her to sleep in. I admit that the dinette layout doesn't really answer well in this regard, but I think either the v-berth or the dinette berth with a lee cloth might work.

Anyway for one reason or another, our 5-mo old has not been aboard yet. Looking forward for the variables to line up soon to convince mommy to give it a go.

One thought I've had: we use a front carrier most of the time for transporting her around. We use public transit and it's way more convenient than a stroller. I think it will come in handy on board as well, as it keeps your hands free. I wouldn't go up on deck in anything but the gentlest conditions, since it can throw off your balance, but tending sheets or helm should be fairly easy. Also a baby kept close to her parents feels more secure and confident, so I think she would get used to the novel situation more easily.
We are vastly experienced in this field........now being the proud parents of a 2 week old
However I can attest that the front baby carrier(we have a baby bjorn) for me is an absolute miracle onboard.

Prior to our daughter I have had other infants onboard and have found the same thing. It makes getting in and out of dinghies, going up and down companionways etc, actually just about anything quite easy. Being careful not to whack a head here and there I have completed most sailing functions(inshore) with the bub attached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 02-18-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook