SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat Won't Back (in a straight or controlled line)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
We use basically the same technique with our Catlaina 30. Once she is moving in reverse, I have complete confidance that she will go exactly where I point her.

When making the transition to reverse, I steer about 20 feet to the right of the line I want to steer in reverse, then take off the last forward speed with a shallow left turn, leaving the boat about 30 degrees to the expected direction of travel in reverse. Once in reverse, slowly increasing throttle pulls the stern to the left and back in line with the intended direction of travel. As water starts to flow under the boat, a little left wheel helps to couteract the prop walk. The swing slows, the boat moves backwards, and after that, it's just driving.

We used to have some real docking disasters trying to reverse and back into the slip from the fairway. Now we reverse in the basin, back all the way down the fairway, and turn right into the slip.