SailNet Community - View Single Post - So what do we do here?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Hmm subtle Smack. What forum could you possible be referring to??
Heh-heh. Hey "if the tiller cover fits...". No, I won't name names, but I will say that they've come a long way over the past year or so from what I've heard. I hear they're really nice to newbs now, patient with questions they think are ridiculous, and even go out of their way to greet newcomers. All stuff they used to complain about. So what's not to love? I'm just glad I could be a critical part of their seeing the light. Doing good where ever I go. That's my thing.

Now, back to the dinghy full of boobs...and definitely NOT your stinky grandmother's.

My take is that what's missing here are good, frequent articles and other content. The crap in the garage is gold - but it's old. Combining a thriving forum (like Sailnet) with REALLY GOOD, FREQUENT stories/articles some of which are technical, some of which are fun, some of which are about people out there doing it, and some of which are just salacious and fleshy, is what works. You essentially become the HuffPo and/or Newser of sailing with a combination of great stories pulled from across the media world, stories created by users, a few stories created by the editors, etc.

SA almost has it right - but they can't seem to get past the bitter nature that's part of their DNA. And that gets old after a while. Although they too are getting better.

Truth be told, the LA model (based on the biker mag thing) is pretty worn out - but I'd much rather read/look/watch stuff about scantly clad chicks having fun in the Caribbean, mixed with hard-core sailing chicks like Jeanne Socrates, mixed with casual cruisers like Zanshin who tell a good story and take a great pic, mixed with boat reviews by actual owners, etc. - than bounce around to a million sites to get all that, or go to a store and actually buy a wad of paper.

It's doable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook