SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your experiences with a baby and a boat
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
We are vastly experienced in this field........now being the proud parents of a 2 week old
However I can attest that the front baby carrier(we have a baby bjorn) for me is an absolute miracle onboard.
Great to hear that things have worked out for you. A comment about the Bjorn, though, which we have/used/loved for the first couple of months with our daughter (now 6 mo). Eventually (don't remember exactly when, the Bjorn gets to be too small, as in the part that she sits on is not wide enough to support her weight properly. Once her legs are hanging down, it's no good; you want her legs to splay out sideways as they would if you carried her on your arm. Unfortunately as you adjust the Bjorn for a bigger baby, the seat actually gets narrower.

We've switched to an Ergo, which has a super-wide seat, but one major downside: it buckles in that spot right in the middle of your back that it's hard enough to reach as it is. You can't put it on or take it off while wearing a jacket, unless you're wearing it over the jacket, but one of the great things about carriers is you can keep the baby under your coat. Come summertime, I expect the Ergo to be a lot easier to use.