SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat Won't Back (in a straight or controlled line)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
One other thing,

Lots of boats are geared such that in reverse, the maximum prop rpm (i.e. at maximum engine rpm) is less in reverse than in forward. In my boat, maximum prop rpm is only 75% of forward rpm. So when, one shifts to reverse, you really need to apply lots of power. It'll sound like something should be happening with all the noise, and it will eventually. Just be patient because there is a big argument going on between the prop and rudder as to who is going to be in control. If you have much forward speed on when you go to reverse, this is going to take a bit of time, but eventually the boat will start to move in reverse. Until these forces resolve the situation, it's better to just keep the rudder admidships. Putting on lots of rudder until the boat is moving, is just going to cause the rudder to act as a brake against that initial backing movement and aggrevate the prop walk issue. And don't worry about the boat walking around. Once you get moving, you can correct this with the rudder. That's one of the reasons to start this process outside the fairway, where you could conceivably get into a position that you can't get out of. Outside, you don't have to worry about it. And also, you don't have to worry about where current and wind are moving you before backing movement is established.

Last edited by NCC320; 02-18-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook