SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River-Bay and NJ Shore get together
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Lewis is a great destination, with dramatic views from Cape Henlopen.

I think of the bay as my destination with Cape May as one place of interest.

With a 20ft boat and 6hp outboard, my planning is somewhat realistic and at times overly pessimistic. I assume an average SOG of 4kn. Against the Delaware tide I can motor at 2kn, with the tide 7kn. 80nm from Essington to Cape May is possible but unlikely in 20hrs.

This is a sailing trip, so I wait for tide and wind in my favor.

Last time my timing was poor and I had the misfortune of entering the Cape May Canal on a summer weekend, missing slack tide and in the wakes of speeding power boats. Not something I desire to repeat.

This time I will spend a day or two at Bidwell Creek maybe a side trip to the Maurice, and enter the canal midweek at slack.

I like the Cohansey, for me it is a destination, anchor and enjoy the wildlife; heron, hawk, eagle, crab, turtle and maybe sturgeon.

May-June is horseshoe crab egg laying time on the bay beaches, and the time when redknots stop to refuel on their journey between Argentina and Northern Canada.

The bay shores are mostly protected wetland, rich with wildlife and history, good reason to slow down and enjoy.