SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Yes Paulo, I am Flemish!
Although for the time being -8 months now without a new government- I prefer to see myself as a European citizen... But this is of course outside the subject of this thread.

You are also absolutely right about the Pogo 10.50 being quite slow when motoring. With 18 hp for 3.600 kg the power should be sufficient, I think the wet surface of the hull can be a reason. Being very light, there is also little inertia in a seaway.
I suspect this will not be different with the 12.50 (30 hp for 5.500 kg) which is also a very light, beamy boat with a flat hull aft.
But on the other hand, with a Pogo one is supposed to hoist the sails with as little as 4 knts of wind...

Best regards,

Eric
Eric,
Thanks for the first hand info here. So you went for the 12.50? I assume you rented the Viniloc 10.50?

Any thoughts on the upside between a 12.50 and 10.50 which made the difference for you? I'm considering the 10.50 with the idea of double handing with 2 children for extended cruising and then a few long weekends/weeks with 4-5 adults. Ultimately single handing and transquadra (but 2). I've found 35 feet is about the max I'd want if I have to deal with things alone and from your manoeuves feedback, it sounds like the added size, draft, weight could be a barrier for me.

With the keel up you need to keep 2+ kts of speed to maintain trajectory and control or can you drop it down to 1-1.5 kts?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook