SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat Won't Back (in a straight or controlled line)
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Hey it must be nice that you all can back into a slip, but for what? So you can get out quicker going forward? I like watching boat traffic coming by from my cockpit(stern) much better than watching the people gawking into my cabin from land/the dock. That said I wish that I can stop my boat from going forward. No matter how much throttle I give in reverse it takes some time to stop my 12Klbs 32' boat with the 30HP A4. Maybe I should go to a 3 bladed prop?
I tend to agree with you regarding people gawking into cabin, but docking, like most things, is a compromise. In addition to being easier to board (if you have a short finger pier) and easier to depart slip, if you are a single hander, an advantage (for me anyway) is that with the stern first approach, from the helm station, I can get the initial lines on the outer piling without leaving the helm. I usually have some crosswind, so if I don't get the lines on quickly, the boat is banging against the piling or finger pier. Also in my case, the boat fits into its slip really well stern to pier, not very well with bow to pier because of hull and slip configeration. And braking by shifting to forward is a lot more effective than trying to back down a boat going forward.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook