SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Azuree 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthene View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been following for quite some time, but do excuse me as it is my first post.

I am thinking of purchasing an Azuree 33. Listed as Boat of the Year at the Genoa Boatshow in 2010.

I am very curious to find out what your thoughts are on this boat.

Many thanks and best regards,
Hi there, welcome to the thread

I have mixed feelings about the Azuree 33. It is an interesting boat, no doubt and I find it more balanced than the 40. It is a fast boat that has an outstanding cruising interior (long galley version) with a very big galley for a 33ft, and a really impressive one in a fast boat. If they propose as an option a supplementary water deposit, it would be a boat with a big cruising range.

It is a boat with two big rudders, very stable downwind, fast and with a relatively good pointing ability. On the Solovela boat test they say that it is a nervous boat close to the wind, but that it is expected in this kind of hull, with a big sail area. You have to have a good hand on the wheel and have a hand on the sail controls, to let it go if necessary. That is also the case with the Elan 350, but for what they say, in a lesser extent.

This boat can plane downwind and as all the boats that are designed to do that should not carry much load and be light. Regarding that, the Cruising version weights 5250kg and that seems a lot. The Elan 350, a bigger boat, weights only 5350kg. If you are going to buy one of those consider buying the fast cruiser that weights 4980kg. It will make a difference downwind and they came with a reasonable draft (2.1M).

I have already said that I like the interior that is very well designed and that seems to be better finished than the one from the Elan 350 but , like on the 40, I don't like that high cabin. I don't understand the need. Looking at the interior we can see that there is more than enough standing weight. I can understand that in a slow cruising sailboat the designer pushes a bit the envelope towards higher interiors and plenty of space, but on a fast boat? It makes no sense to me. Makes the boat ugly even if in a lesser extent than the 40.

And then you have the price. This boat costs about the same as the Elan 350 and I don't think it is a match. The Elan 350, a bigger boat will be faster and in my opinion, nicer. It remains the interior that in this boat seems to be very good and cozy...but again, the one from the 350 is bigger.

Don't take me wrong, the Azuree 33 is an interesting boat, what happens is that the Elan 350 is really an outstanding boat and a boat that will be difficult to match.

On the site they have a very good virtual visit :

Azuree

And Solovela has made a nice video when they tested the boat:

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook